Here is some useful information concerning how to get to the institute, your hotel and travelling in Potsdam and Berlin.
Construction at Golm Station
Please note: Train service to Golm will suspended from Monday to Thursday due to constuction at Golm station!
We are sorry for the inconvenience, this service announcement was posted by DB with very short notice on Friday, July 21. Although there will be a substitute bus service (Schienenersatzverkehr, SEV, see announcement) we recommend that you take the bus line 606 directly to Max-Planck-Campus. It leaves in front of Potsdam main station (Potsdam Hauptbahnhof) or opposite of Hotel Mercure (Alter Markt). The frequency is 20 minutes during daytime and it takes about 30 minutes. The required one-way ticket is Potsdam AB (1.60 €) available at the bus driver.
Arriving by Plane/Train
Berlin has three airports, Tegel, Tempelhof and Schönefeld. Major train stations in Berlin include Zoo, Hauptbahnhof, Ostbahnhof. Please use public transportation to get to Potsdam Hauptbahnhof. A taxi will be 50 € or more.
- Flughafen Tegel, Berlin
- Flughafen Tempelhof, Berlin
- Berlin Schoenefeld, Flughafen
- Berlin Zoo
- Berlin Hauptbahnhof
- Berlin Ostbahnhof
- Potsdam Hauptbahnhof
The destination (nach) is, respectively:
- Potsdam Hauptbahnhof (Hotel Mercure)
- Golm, Weinmeisterstrasse (Landhotel Potsdam)
- Golm, Max-Planck-Campus (Workshop)
Traveling by Car
- Hotel Mercure: Lange Bruecke, 14467 Potsdam
- Landhotel Potsdam: Reiherbergstrasse, 14476 Potsdam
- Workshop: Am Muehlenberg 1, 14476 Potsdam.
Hotel Mercure is situated in the Potsdam city center at Lange Brücke.
The main train station (Potsdam Hauptbahnhof) may be reached
by foot in about five minutes.
Hotel Mercure is the tall building by the lake,
see the site plan.
Trains to Golm will be out of service from Monday till Thursday: The fastest connection to the institute is an hourly regional train RB 21 (or RB 20) leaving from Potsdam Hauptbahnhof for Wustermark (or Oranienburg). Get off at Golm. You should take the bus instead: The bus lines 606 (and 605) towards Golm also serve the institute, the closest bus stop is Potsdam Hauptbahnhof or Alter Markt. For further instructions, see below.
Landhotel Potsdam is located on in Golm, Reiherbergstrasse 33 fairly close to the institute, you can walk in ten minutes, see the site map. The hotel can be reached by bus (606) from Potsdam Hauptbahnhof. The closest bus stop is Weinmeisterstrasse.
Directly to the Workshop
From Berlin: Leave the highway (Autobahn) A 115 at the exit Potsdam-Babelsberg and turn at Potsdam-Zentrum. Follow the directions to Autobahn Hamburg until Golm is indicated.
Other routes: Leave the highway (Autobahn) A 10 at the exit Leest and turn at Potsdam. Pass Leest and Grube to get to Golm.
Berlin has three airports: Tegel, Schönefeld, and Tempelhof. A taxi to Golm costs 50-60 € and takes 45-60 minutes from either airport. The Institute can pre-arrange a taxi for you at a small discount. Renting a car at the airport is also an option. Public transportation takes one to two hours. Buy a one-way ticket ("Berlin-ABC Einzelfahrkarte"), which costs 2.60 € and is good for two hours on all public buses, trams, and regional trains (see below).
Intercity trains usually stop either in Berlin-Wannsee, Berlin-Zoologischer Garten, or Berlin-Ostbahnhof. Some stop in Potsdam Central Station (Potsdam-Hauptbahnhof); when possible, ask for these when booking your tickets.
From Berlin-Wannsee, Zoologischer Garten, or Ostbahnhof, take the regional express train RE1 to Brandenburg or Magdeburg and get off in Potsdam-Hauptbahnhof.
Note: If your connection requires a long waiting for a regional train, check the DB Online Travel Service for alternatives.
Some intercity trains have their terminal stop at Berlin-Spandau or Berlin-Lichtenberg.
Trains to Golm will be out of service from Monday till Thursday: From Spandau, take the regional train RB 13 to Rathenow or Wustermark or the regional express train RE 4 to Stendal and change in Wustermark to the regional train RB 21 going to Griebnitzsee. That train stops in Golm Bahnhof. Once you arrive in Golm Bahnhof, cross the bridge over the railroad tracks and follow the black asphalt footpath for about 500 m to the Max-Planck-Campus. Alternatively, you can take a train to Zoologischer Garten or take bus 638 or 639 to Potsdam.
From Lichtenberg, you need to take a city train ("S-Bahn") to Ostbahnhof (S5, S7, or S75) and then the regional express train RE1 to Brandenburg or Magdeburg and get off at Potsdam-Hauptbahnhof.
To get from Potsdam Hauptbahnhof to Golm, you have the following options:
- Take a taxi to Golm, Max-Planck-Campus (this will cost you around 15 €).
- Trains to Golm will be out of service from Monday till Thursday: Take a regional train. Both RB 21 to Wustermark and RB 20 to Oranienburg take nine minutes to get to Golm and run about once an hour. Once you arrive in Golm, cross the bridge over the railroad tracks. Follow the black asphalt footpath for about 500 m to the Max-Planck-Campus.
- Take bus 605 or X5 from Potsdam-Hauptbahnhof to Golm train station. Once you arrive in Golm, cross the bridge over the railroad tracks. Follow the black asphalt footpath for about 500 m to the Max-Planck-Campus.
- Take bus 606 from Potsdam-Hauptbahnhof to Max-Planck-Campus. Buses take about half an hour to get to Golm but run three times per hour. Buses are leaving from the bus station, which you can find in front of the Hauptbahnhof (follow the sign "Bus"). The bus line numbers are indicated at each stopping place.
On the Campus
Once on the campus, go to the central building, see the site map.